[U-Boot-Users] Some RFCs about U-Boot's the generic FPGA support

Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com
Tue Aug 21 22:09:11 CEST 2007

> Bit mirroring might not be needed in slave serial mode, but is
> needed in slave
> parallel mode. Bytes in the .bit file are stored with the LSB on the
left
> side. The bytes must then be reversed before being written in slave
parallel
> mode, as the FPGA expects the LSB on D0, not on D7.

Again, it depends on the processor you are using and how it's hooked up to
the FPGA.  BTW, according to the Spartan 3 data sheet "data bit D0 is the
MOST-significant (msb) bit and D7 is the least-significant bit (lsb)" (pg
167, Xilinx UG332 Spartan-3 Generation confiuration User Guide).  Maybe
you are refering to a different FPGA?

> Without mirroring, bitstreams won't load in slave parallel mode. You
should
> keep mirroring, and change the slave serial code to shift bits the other
way
> around.

I must respectfully disagree.  In my design, if I mirror in the code the
FPGA does NOT load.  In a PPC, D0 is the MSB, NOT the LSB.  In a Spartan 3
FPGA, D0 is the MSB, NOT the LSB.  Therefore if you connect your bus
straight across between the PPC and the Spartan 3 FPGA, AND do mirroring
in the code, your FPGA will not load.

Bruce