[U-Boot-Users] ARM cleanup - was: [GIT PULL] [ARM] Please pull fromgit://denx.de/git/u-boot-arm.git

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Aug 29 00:59:49 CEST 2007

Dear Peter,

in message <000a01c7e98e$949af6c0$821ba8c0 at Emea.Arm.com> you wrote:

> > > The changes are there to allow you to boot from a dataflash.
> > > A bootstrap will initialize the SDRAM and copy from the
> > dataflash (or
> > > IIRC: The code avoids reinitialization of stuff which will
> > crash U-Boot.
> > > (And sets the LED)
> >
> > I'm afraid I don't understand. We are not talking about  any
> > startup code,  but  about the code of the "reset" function,
> > i. e. what casues the board to reset.
>
> The writers (and cut & pasters) of ARM code seem to have assumed that
>
> reset:
>
> is the entry to the code which runs immediately after the processor is reset,
> rather than the code which makes the processor reset.

Well, if that was the assumption, that all this  code  has  obviously
never  been  tested  on any real hardware. Which means it should have
never been submitted to the list.

> Could we accept Ulf's code whilst I give this more consideration?

It's so utterly wrong that I think we have to clean  this  up  before
the  next  release. If nobody submits a better patch, we will have to
remove the bogus code.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
I know engineers. They love to change things.             - Dr. McCoy