[U-Boot-Users] Using 'ver' env var

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Aug 14 17:23:43 CEST 2007

In message <1187102431.13869.7.camel at elrond.sweden.atmel.com> you wrote:

> Ideally this should be in a script "reboot_cmd" which
> gets executed at every reboot before anything else
> is executed.

I really don't understand why you make all this so complicated.

I think we agree that all that needs to be done is running a single
"saveenv" command once after installation of a new U-Boot image (which
is supposed to never to happen in the field anyway).

So deine yoiur "bootcmd" to include something like a "run once"
command, and define "once" as a "harmless" operation, like this:

	=> setenv once version

Then, when you update U-Boot (under Linux), also change the definition
of "once", equivalent to this:

	=> setenv once "saveenv;setenv once version"

The next time U-Boot boots it will run this variable, will  save  the
environment  and  then  reset  the  variable  to  the effective no-op
command.

Voila...

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"I believe the use of noise to make  music  will  increase  until  we
reach  a  music  produced  through  the aid of electrical instruments
which will make available for musical purposes  any  and  all  sounds
that can be heard."                        - composer John Cage, 1937