[U-Boot-Users] Booting multi-file images with a FDT but no initrd

Bartlomiej Sieka tur at semihalf.com
Wed Dec 5 11:08:46 CET 2007

Simon Kagstrom wrote:
[...]
>>> I'm using U-boot 1.3.0 to boot Linux on a Freescale
>>> MPC8349E-mITX, and I have a small issue with multi-file images. I
>>> use a device tree but no initrd, and I'm not quite sure how to
>>> boot the image in a good way. The image is created in this way:
[...]
> I solved it for now by creating a standalone application which reads
> the multi-file image and sets the "fdtaddr" environment variable if
> it finds one.

Hi Simon,

Another workaround is to use a mulit-image file with three images
(kernel, initrd, blob) and ignore the second one by calling "bootm
<addr> -". Note that the second image in the file can a bogus one-byte
file (it needs to be at least one byte in size, because mkimage refuses
the create a multi-image file with a zero-sized member).

Note that this booting scenario will be supported in a much more elegant
manner once the new image format is developed. Please stay tuned.

Regards,
Bartlomiej