[U-Boot-Users] Booting multi-file images with a FDT but no initrd

Simon Kagstrom simon.kagstrom at ericsson.com
Wed Dec 5 10:58:42 CET 2007

Hi Wolfgang,

On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 16:28:24 +0100
Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:

> In message
> <20071204150416.7aa7dda6 at seasc0532.dyn.rnd.as.sw.ericsson.se> you
> wrote:
> >
> > I'm using U-boot 1.3.0 to boot Linux on a Freescale MPC8349E-mITX,
> > and I have a small issue with multi-file images. I use a device
> > tree but no initrd, and I'm not quite sure how to boot the image in
> > a good way. The image is created in this way:
>
> In theory this should "just work", but  it  doesn't  at  the  moment.
> There  are  plans  to  implement  a  more  flexible format for U-Boot
> images, especially for  multi-file  images,  which  will  solve  this
> problem.

Thanks for the information.

I solved it for now by creating a standalone application which reads
the multi-file image and sets the "fdtaddr" environment variable if it
finds one. I can thereafter boot with (basically)

  tftp $loadaddr ...
  tftp 40000 .../parse-multifile
  go 40004 $loadaddr
  bootm $loadaddr - $fdtaddr

If anyone is interested, I can send the short C-file.

// Simon