[U-Boot-Users] Wondering about the PPC parallel I/O handling

David Saada David.Saada at ecitele.com
Mon Dec 10 09:59:17 CET 2007

Hi,

Looking at U-boot's handling of PPC parallel I/O, there are some things I
was wondering about:
- There's no module that's responsible of it. Handling is done in the
cpu_init module alone (among other things). This means that there's some
duplicated code (for instance in the 85xx and 83xx cpu_init modules).
- There's no easy way to read from a port or write to it - one needs to
perform some cumbersome actions on the port registers instead of having
simple read_port and write_port functions.
- For some reason, in the QE PIO configuration table, there's no field for
the port data (relevant for output ports) as it was with CPM2. This requires
to setup all initial values manually.

Are there any plans to reform this piece of code?

Regards,
David.