[U-Boot-Users] Making uboot.bin

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Dec 11 17:11:02 CET 2007

In message <14268613.post at talk.nabble.com> you wrote:

> I have following questions for you:-
>
> 1. Can we use uboot only for booting Linux?

No, you cannot. It will happily boot other OS's as well.

> 2. Is the kernel necessary for the board or standalone application alone can
> serve the purpose?

This depends on that you want to do. If you need an OS, you will want
to boot Linix. If you want a simple plain stupid test environment, a
standalone application may do.

> 3. How big can be the size of standalone applications?

How much memory do you have?

> 4. The uboot is already installed by manufacturer on my board, can i take
> the backup of that   from board?

Yes, of course you can. U-Boot comes under GPL and you can copy it as
often as you want.

> 5. For porting uboot to a board what cross compilation tools are required?
> If ELDK can serve this purpose?

Yes, of course it can. We use it in all our work.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
How many NASA managers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?  "That's
a known problem... don't worry about it."