[U-Boot-Users] Changes to U-Boot Development Process

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Thu Feb 1 16:37:03 CET 2007

On 2/1/07, Peter.Pearse <peter.pearse at arm.com> wrote:
> Am I on the right lines here?
>
> U-Boot development process
authored ones.  It's not the gatekkeepers responsibility to review
every patch, but rather to make sure all patches are reviewed.  For
example, if a patch is not contentious and has been Ack'd by someone
he/she trusts, then the gatekeeper can probably merge it without
personally reviewing it.

> [Gatekeepers possibly contend for patch]
> Chosen gatekeeper inspects patch for
>         Coding style
>         Basic logic
>         U-Boot ethos (e.g lowest possible size) **1
>         MAKEALL **2
> until satisfied
> [If not rejected]
> Gatekeeper pushes new branch for the patch to the "area git",
> and notifies the user list.
> As well as a short summary the description may include
>         Affected board or area
>         Suggested tests
> If unable to test sufficiently themselves **2, the gatekeeper request tests
> from specific maintainers and U-Boot users.
> Tests by the original developer are not sufficient.
> Once tests are passed, or some agreed time limit expires **3,
> the gatekeeper requests that the area branch be merged into the main tree.
> [If necessary, patch is reworked to allow merge]

Having a merge window has worked extremely well for the Linux kernel.
Does anyone think the same process is appropriate here?

Cheers,
g.

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc. P.Eng.