[U-Boot-Users] Changes to U-Boot Development Process

Peter.Pearse peter.pearse at arm.com
Thu Feb 1 12:31:41 CET 2007

Am I on the right lines here?

U-Boot development process
==========================
Gatekeepers have responsibility for some area of U-Boot.

A developer submits a patch via email or requests git pull
[Gatekeepers possibly contend for patch]
Chosen gatekeeper inspects patch for
	Coding style
	Basic logic
	U-Boot ethos (e.g lowest possible size) **1
	MAKEALL **2
until satisfied
[If not rejected]
Gatekeeper pushes new branch for the patch to the "area git",
and notifies the user list.
As well as a short summary the description may include
	Affected board or area
	Suggested tests
If unable to test sufficiently themselves **2, the gatekeeper request tests
from specific maintainers and U-Boot users.
Tests by the original developer are not sufficient.
Once tests are passed, or some agreed time limit expires **3,
the gatekeeper requests that the area branch be merged into the main tree.
[If necessary, patch is reworked to allow merge]

**1:: Ethos - whereas this used to be in Wolfgang's head we may need to
document some of it.
**2:: Gatekeepers may not have access to all necessary tools and/or boards
**3:: I think patches should be accepted if no-one (other than the original
developer)
has tested them within a certain time, but they meet all other criteria.

Regards

Peter Pearse