[U-Boot-Users] How to determine the values assigned to -a and -e options of mkimage tool?

Jarod Wang mailtojarod at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 12:43:12 CET 2007

Hi all

I'm porting u-boot-1.1.4 to an smdk2410-like custom board to boot Linux
2.4.18-rmk7 kernel by using cross-2.95.3 as cross-compiler on my CentOS
4.4 powered i386 box. The board got a 64MB SDRAM mapped into 0x3000

0000 - 0x3400 0000 in S3C2410A's address space.

And yesterday I could see the output in minicom, but I was confused by
the options of tools/mkimage when I tried to create an uImage file.
According to the README file there are two options '-a' and '-e' which

denote the 'load address' and 'entry point(address)' respectively.

So I set both of them to 0x30008000 when I built my uImage file
according to the following lines in arch/arm/boot/Makefile:

ifeq ($(CONFIG_ARCH_S3C2410),y)
ZTEXTADDR        = 0x30008000
ZRELADDR         = 0x30008000
endif

My question is whether these two values should be assigned to -a and -e
options, and what about the value of CFG_LOAD_ADDR in configuration

header file?

Any hints would be highly appreciate.

Best regards,

Jarod Wang