[U-Boot-Users] AT91 NAND om AT91SAM9260EK

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Mon Feb 12 20:36:51 CET 2007

On Monday 12 February 2007 19:40, Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
> > Yeah, that's a nice attitude. "Go away, we don't want your patches."
> > Without even looking at them?
>
> I dont want patches that stops U-boot from functioning, that is correct.
> If someone creates a patch which will improve functionality,
> tries it out on a reasonable number of targets and then it
> later turns out that there are some problems in corner cases,
> I will not call for a public hanging.

Sometimes you have to make some changes without being able to really test them
on real hardware. That's definitely nothing we like to do, but sometimes
there is no other way. Or we would keep "status quo" and I think we all agree
that we want to keep this project moving, even with more pace than in the
last months.

> > Btw, I can't help but feel that you're using me as an example here,
> > since I _did_ at one point suggest that one particular patch would
> > only need compile-testing. If you are, please stop it because you're
> > misrepresenting what I said.
>
> No, I was thinking of the guys that wants to change the complete
> support for dataflash with no intention to test it on any
> board with dataflash

That sounds a little like he (Grant) really wanted to _break_ dataflash
support intentionally. His idea was to clean up some ugly places and replace
them with something more readable and maintainable (Grant, please jump in if
I misinterpret you here). If he is unable to test the results (compile clean
is of course mandatory) then other have to "jump in" here. IIRC, he
volunteered to clean up possible bugs too.

So please don't discourage people who want to improve this project. Thanks.

Best regards,
Stefan