[U-Boot-Users] u-boot for Vertex4-based board.

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Wed Feb 14 15:28:27 CET 2007

On 2/13/07, Markus Klotzbücher <mk at denx.de> wrote:
> Dear Leonid,
>
> "Leonid" <Leonid at a-k-a.net> writes:
>
> > I'm porting u-boot on Vertex-4 based board (with PPC405 inside); I'm
> > trying use ml403 u-boot as example. I have first stage boot loader,
> > taking my u-boot image from serial and loading it to SDRAM, u-boot is
> > configured to boot from main memory.
>
> Are you aware that this setup is strongly discouraged? Have you read
> this:
>
> http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/CanUBootBeConfiguredSuchThatItCanBeStartedInRAM
> ?

That's not necessarily relevant when using the virtex parts.  His only
option might be to boot from SDRAM.  I've got a number of Virtex
designs where the SystemACE (FPGA loader hardware) loads code into
SDRAM after the FPGA is configured.

That being said; I actually use a 3 stage loading process.  I have an
early boot loader which fits into Block RAM (BRAM, on chip memory) in
the fpga.  Earlyboot loads a u-boot image off of the CF card which is
attached to the system ace.  When u-boot starts, it is already in RAM.
 In the past, I have bypassed the relocation code so I can run u-boot
from where it was linked; but now I link u-boot to the base of ram and
let the standard relocation code move it to the top of ram.  It's kind
of an unnecessary copy; but I don't need to fiddle with the code as
much.

BTW, Leonid;  You want to use ppc_4xx, not ppc_4xxFP.  I don't know
about the uartlite driver.

Cheers,
g.