[U-Boot-Users] u-boot for Vertex4-based board.

Leonid Leonid at a-k-a.net
Wed Feb 14 18:17:42 CET 2007

Behalf Of Grant Likely
On Wednesday, February 14, 2007 6:28 AM Grant Likely:
> > Are you aware that this setup is strongly discouraged? Have you read

> That's not necessarily relevant when using the virtex parts.  His only
> option might be to boot from SDRAM.  I've got a number of Virtex
> designs where the SystemACE (FPGA loader hardware) loads code into
> SDRAM after the FPGA is configured.
[Leonid] It's also not relevant for many ARM platforms as I wrote in my answer on Marcus' posting. In any rate I don't see anything specifically evil in such setup, quite opposite, it's much more convenient for debug since allows to reload code very quickly. I think I could resort to traditional for PPC (and probably for u-boot, being in the past PPCboot) loading algorithm in future if will see it fit.

> That being said; I actually use a 3 stage loading process.  I have an
> early boot loader which fits into Block RAM (BRAM, on chip memory) in
> the fpga.  Earlyboot loads a u-boot image off of the CF card which is
> attached to the system ace.  When u-boot starts, it is already in RAM.
[Leonid] I do precisely the same on many platforms. U-boot doesn't work on this particular board yet, but that to be expected - the board is new.

> In the past, I have bypassed the relocation code so I can run u-boot
> from where it was linked;

[Leonid] You just commented out relocation function? Can you send me your change if you have saved one to try?

> but now I link u-boot to the base of ram and
> let the standard relocation code move it to the top of ram.  It's kind
> of an unnecessary copy; but I don't need to fiddle with the code as
> much.

[Leonid] Agree.

> BTW, Leonid;  You want to use ppc_4xx, not ppc_4xxFP.  I don't know
> about the uartlite driver.

[Leonid] I use ppc_4xx, now I'm running Kegel cross tool - all the same.

BTW, could you manage source level debug for you target? I download elf file via XMD and then try to connect GDB remotely, but addresses GDB show have nothing to do with real address (u-boot is located on 0x01f00000):

leonid at mylinux u-boot-1.1.4]$ ~/gdb-ppc/gdb/gdb -symbols=u-boot.map u-boot
GNU gdb 6.4
This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-linux-gnu --target=powerpc-linux"...
(gdb) target remote 192.168.0.70:1234
Remote debugging using 192.168.0.70:1234
0x00000000 in ?? ()
(gdb) where
#0  0x00000000 in ?? ()
#1  0x01f0c8fc in env_init () at env_flash.c:270
#2  0x01f0c8fc in env_init () at env_flash.c:270
#3  0x01f0c8fc in env_init () at env_flash.c:270
#4  0x01f0c8fc in env_init () at env_flash.c:270
#5  0x01f0c8fc in env_init () at env_flash.c:270
Previous frame inner to this frame (corrupt stack?)
(gdb)

Thanks,

Leonid.