[U-Boot-Users] u-boot for Vertex4-based board.

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Feb 16 01:46:43 CET 2007

In message <406A31B117F2734987636D6CCC93EE3CB05891 at ehost011-3.exch011.intermedia.net> you wrote:

> [Leonid] The answer in DULG FAQ chapter you are referring to doesn't say th
> at such practice is bad, it simply states that u-boot doesn't support such
> an option. That could be truth in the time of DULG FAQ writing but now there

No, it does not say that U-Boot doesn't support this, it sais that
this is difficult, unsupported, and fraught with peril.

And "unsupported" means that: you might not  get  any  support  doing
this.

> are many platforms, naturally using 3-stage booting. For example, ATMEL
> ARM boards have small boot program which fetches u-boot from flash, loads it

And in which way is this a 3-stage procedure? I see only two  stages.
Also, in some cases this is absolutely not "naturally".

>  to RAM and then starts. I would like to hear why do you think it's so bad,
>  but in any case this way u-boot is normally used for such boards (at91rm9200-ek for instance).

This  has been discussed in lenght before. See the archives.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are  any
good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats."  - Howard Aiken