[U-Boot-Users] [patch] drop special case for ppc hosts

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Jan 8 11:56:33 CET 2007

Dear Mike,

in message <200701080332.57705.vapier at gentoo.org> you wrote:

> for some reason there's a special case for ppc HOSTARCH's when setting up the
> default CROSS_COMPILE value ... this messes up my default env builds when
> going between my x86/amd64/ppc dev hosts ;)

What exactly happens?

>  ifndef CROSS_COMPILE

... if CROSS_COMPILE is *NOT* set ...

> -ifeq ($(HOSTARCH),ppc)

... and you are on a PPC host ...

> -CROSS_COMPILE =

... then define CROSS_COMPILE as empty string,
i. e. use the native PPC compiler.

This looks ok to me.

> -else
>  ifeq ($(ARCH),ppc)
>  CROSS_COMPILE = powerpc-linux-

With your patch applies, we would use powerpc-linux-gcc  even  if  we
are  on a PPC host; this may be wanted (in which case you should have
CROSS_COMPILE set when running make, and the "ifndef CROSS_COMPILE"
will not apply), but usually you want to run the native tools.

So what is your problem?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles is not a realist.
                                                   - David Ben Gurion