[U-Boot-Users] DTB /OF_TREE Newbie and U-boot

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at smiths-aerospace.com
Thu Jan 18 20:32:04 CET 2007

Timur Tabi wrote:
> Russell McGuire wrote:

[snip]

>> 3)       Is this built into the bd_info structure?
>
> I'm not sure I understand.  The DTB itself is not part of U-Boot, but U-Boot can
> parse the tree and modify it.

The dtb obsoletes the bd_info structure (but that is directly or
indirectly the source of some of the added information that bootm puts
into the dtb).  Instead of passing a pointer to a C struct that is
defined both in u-boot and the kernel (which must be identical or
literally nothing happens), the dtb is structured as a searchable
key/value data structure that is well defined.  If the necessary
key/value is in there, it will be found an used.  If not, that will be
reported if possible (some errors, e.g. bad console port definitions,
are obviously not recoverable).

HTH,
gvb