[U-Boot-Users] DTB /OF_TREE Newbie and U-boot

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Thu Jan 18 20:07:16 CET 2007

Russell McGuire wrote:

> I realize now that for SOC chips such as a MPC8360E that passing a DTB
> structure into the bootm command is probably a required step??? Is this
> True?

Yes.

> If so I see in some cases that this structure might be partly
> constructed within the U-boot code, at least I see code doing something
> with OF_TREE’s.

Yes, U-Boot updates the tree with its own values.

> 1)       Is the U-boot compilation process generating a .dtb structure
> that we can burn into firmware, at least or certain CPU architectures?

No.  You need to use the DTC compiler, which is available here:
http://www.jdl.com/git_repos/?p=dtc.git

> 2)       Is this a manual process that requires an outside dtb compiler,

Yes.

> and if so why is U-boot code dealing with this?

Because the Linux kernel is currently coded such that the boot loader must pass
the DTB to it.  To reduce the amount of dual-maintenance, U-Boot can take some
of the data that it knows about, and put that into the tree.

> 3)       Is this built into the bd_info structure?

I'm not sure I understand.  The DTB itself is not part of U-Boot, but U-Boot can
parse the tree and modify it.

--
Timur Tabi
Linux Kernel Developer @ Freescale