[U-Boot-Users] RFC: Extra args for reset command?

Jon Loeliger jdl at freescale.com
Thu Jan 18 23:31:52 CET 2007

Wolfgang,

I have need for some additional arguments to the
"reset" command as found in common/cmd_boot.c on
the MPC8641HPCN board.

Specifically, one can say "reset altbank", for
example, and have the reset operation set some
FPGA bits that indicate the chip should come out
of reset using the alternate flash bank as the
boot image source.  There are a few other possible
variants that the FPGA supports, and would need to
be specified on the "reset" command.

There are a few ways we might have these options
be introduced.  First, we could directly change the
common/cmd_boot.c file to straight up say:

        U_BOOT_CMD(
        -     reset, 1, 0,    do_reset,
        +     reset, CFG_MAXARGS, 0,  do_reset,
              "reset   - Perform RESET of the CPU\n",
              NULL
        );

Or we could introduce a CFG_NUM_RESET_ARGS option:

#define CFG_NUM_RESET_ARGS      (6)             # for 8641

#define CFG_NUM_RESET_ARGS      (1)             # everything else

and:

        U_BOOT_CMD(
        -     reset, 1, 0,    do_reset,
        +     reset, CFG_NUM_RESET_ARGS, 0,  do_reset,
              "reset   - Perform RESET of the CPU\n",
              NULL
        );

Or, we could introduce a different "reset" command for
the 8641 board  have a different U_BOOT_CMD() definition
for it in the 8641HPCN board port.

Do you have advice, preference, or an alternate method
you would prefer?

Thanks,
jdl