[U-Boot-Users] U-Boot-NG ?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jul 4 01:13:03 CEST 2007

In message <fa686aa40707031559x4d9c3af8t92dacad96681e1f at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> > > Sorry; let me be more specific; any objection to moving device
> > > initialization to *after* relocation to RAM.  I'm not asking about
> > > removing console output.
> >
> > Yes, I *do* object. Please see previous messages.
> >
> > You know how much I'm fighting over a few bytes memory footprint here
> > and there, but this is something that is  so  vitally  important  for
> > porting  U-Boot to green hardware that I am happy to "waste" whatever
> > it needs in terms of memory for this feature.
>
> But why does this affect device initialization?  To get to running in
> RAM; there needs to be three things: RAM initialized correctly, code
> copied and basic console output for progress metering.  Why do devices
> not related to these three things matter?  Why can't they be deferred
> until after relocation to RAM?

Sorry, I misread your statement above (didn't see the "I'm not asking
about removing console output." part of it.).

> I say don't get distracted with non-essential peripherals when the
> first priority is to get into RAM.

I agree 100%. What I would like to have in  a  new  version  is  that
devices only get initialized before they are actually used in U-Boot,
and  get  deiniztialized (shut down completely) after being used (not
doing the latter is a continuing PITA in the current code).

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
A mouse is an elephant built by the Japanese.