[U-Boot-Users] U-Boot-NG ?

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Wed Jul 4 00:59:06 CEST 2007

On 7/3/07, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
> In message <fa686aa40707031221y7f30c01n38f0b13be9600ebc at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
> >
> > Sorry; let me be more specific; any objection to moving device
> > initialization to *after* relocation to RAM.  I'm not asking about
> > removing console output.
>
> Yes, I *do* object. Please see previous messages.
>
> You know how much I'm fighting over a few bytes memory footprint here
> and there, but this is something that is  so  vitally  important  for
> porting  U-Boot to green hardware that I am happy to "waste" whatever
> it needs in terms of memory for this feature.

But why does this affect device initialization?  To get to running in
RAM; there needs to be three things: RAM initialized correctly, code
copied and basic console output for progress metering.  Why do devices
not related to these three things matter?  Why can't they be deferred
until after relocation to RAM?

I say don't get distracted with non-essential peripherals when the
first priority is to get into RAM.

Cheers,
g.

--