[U-Boot-Users] U-Boot-NG ?

Carsten Schlote c.schlote at konzeptpark.de
Wed Jul 4 15:09:21 CEST 2007

Hi,

> I think we have little choice if we want 4k boot block
> support, early console output _and_ a maintainable tree.

Yes. I fully agree.

So my opinion:

Stage 1:
* I can live with hardcoded, fixed-baud puts() and puthex() in stage 1.
  It's normally disabled, and for production code I would prefer
LED/Buzzer
  feedback. (Dear customer, can you tell me how many times the LED is
blinking?)
* board specific code (BSC) could supply code to use beepers or LEDs to
  report on early errors. (No customer has terminals connected... Or has
no
  glue how to do so...)
* Move everything except of resetinit, relocator and C stack setup to
stage 2.
  C stack setup might require DRAM setup || use of CACHE/SRAM memory.
* Provide some way to provide BSC to be inserted at defined points in
the
  stage 1 code. So you can do additional setups required for some
boards.
  (e.g. FPGA stuff if required for DRAM setup)

Stage 2:
* Complete the C stack setup (move from CACHE/SRAM to real RAM) if
needed.
* Setup the real serial driver

Regards
  Carsten