[U-Boot-Users] In kernel mkimage

Behan Webster behanw at websterwood.com
Tue Jul 17 16:27:51 CEST 2007

Clemens Koller wrote:
> Josh Boyer schrieb:
>
>> As part of my on-going 4xx work in the arch/powerpc kernel, I've been
>> toying with the idea of creating an in-kernel copy of the mkimage
>> tool, similar to how we have a mktree tool for the older OpenBIOS
>> firmware.
>>

> Don't duplicate code, if it ain't necessary. Improve documentation
> that  make <foo>  tells what's missing and how to fix it.

I agree. Code shouldn't be duplicated.

Instead, perhaps the code should be moved (and maintained) in the kernel
tree.

mkimage is used for building kernel images (and other related things
like ramdisk images).  Building u-boot (for the use of one tool) should
not be a necessary part of building a kernel image.  Many people never
need to build u-boot being content with the bootloader that shipped with
their embedded target.

Lowering the barrier to entry to the use of u-boot (i.e. by allowing
kernels to be more easily built for it) will encourage more to use it.
More people using it will eventually lead to more people interested in
learning about the code.  It also cuts down on people asking a FAQ.

It also puts a tool in the kernel tree which encourages others to use
u-boot as their boot loader. :)

It's a win-win solution.

--
Behan Webster