[U-Boot-Users] In kernel mkimage

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Tue Jul 17 17:12:55 CEST 2007

Hi Behan,

On Tuesday 17 July 2007, Behan Webster wrote:
> > Don't duplicate code, if it ain't necessary. Improve documentation
> > that  make <foo>  tells what's missing and how to fix it.
>
> I agree. Code shouldn't be duplicated.
>
> Instead, perhaps the code should be moved (and maintained) in the kernel
> tree.

Hmmm.

> mkimage is used for building kernel images (and other related things
> like ramdisk images).

And it is being used for building other images too. Not only Linux kernel
images but other OS images (VxWorks, QNX, etc.), FPGA images, bitmaps and so
on. Everything related to U-Boot in a way. So the mkimage tool should at
least be available in the U-Boot source tree.

> Building u-boot (for the use of one tool) should
> not be a necessary part of building a kernel image.  Many people never
> need to build u-boot being content with the bootloader that shipped with
> their embedded target.

Yes, you have a point here. I remember "porting" mkimage to Windows once
(working for a different company of course ;-)).

> Lowering the barrier to entry to the use of u-boot (i.e. by allowing
> kernels to be more easily built for it) will encourage more to use it.
> More people using it will eventually lead to more people interested in
> learning about the code.  It also cuts down on people asking a FAQ.
>
> It also puts a tool in the kernel tree which encourages others to use
> u-boot as their boot loader. :)
>
> It's a win-win solution.

I have to support you here, that it should be easier to "use" mkimage in the
Linux kernel generation. But completely removing it from the U-Boot source
doesn't make sense to me because of the reasons mentioned above.

The easiest change would be to add a make target to the U-Boot top-level
Makefile, for mkimage generation. This way the Linux "user" would at least
not have to worry about compiling U-Boot for a not needed platform.

Just my 0.02$.

Best regards,
Stefan

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de