[U-Boot-Users] [RFC] Splash image

Wolfgang Grandegger wg at grandegger.com
Wed Jul 18 16:47:38 CEST 2007

Hi Rodolfo,

Rodolfo Giometti wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm planning to review the splash image support and in order to do that
> my next steps should be:
>
> 1) Remove the logo support.
>
> Currently we have two function for a boot screen: CONFIG_SPLASH_SCREEN
> and CONFIG_LCD_LOGO. I propose to remove logo support since logos must
> be statically compiled into u-boot and cannot be changed unless
> rebuild u-boot. On the other side splash images could be loaded at
> runtime.
>
> 2) Rewrite the lcd_display_bitmap() in order to be more portable
> across several BPP values.
>
> I'd like to have some suggestions from you before starting to modify
> the code. :)

I already have a big rewrite of the LCD driver, as I already told you
some time ago. Till now I did'nt find the time to post it, sorry. Will
do so next week. It supports dynamic display configuration via FDT,
which requires substantial modification.

Nevertheless, for true-color display (BPP >= 8) we should use
"drivers/cfb_console.c". "common/lcd.c" just supports properly
monochrome and 8-bit displays with color table. It would make more sense
to spend time for a unified display driver in U-Boot. Unfortunately,
that's not a trivial task.

Wolfgang.