[U-Boot-Users] U-boot ColdFire development

w.wegner at astro-kom.de w.wegner at astro-kom.de
Fri Jul 27 09:12:21 CEST 2007

On 26 Jul 2007 at 17:39, Liew Tsi Chung-r5aahp wrote:

> > is CFG_UART_PORT (in cpu_init.c) meant to be there? Configurable
> > console port is great, I need it myself, but shouldn´t it be
> > named CONFIG_CONSOLE_PORT or something?
> Cannot have too generic name like CONFIG_CONSOLE_PORT. To avoid confusion with others, CFG_UART_PORT is good so far.

OK, was just an idea.

> > is it useful to have the GPIO part of UART configuration in cpu_init.c?
> > IIRC the console port should be changeable from the environment, then the GPIO
> > setting for the UART should be in mcfuart, or at least somewhere accessible from there
> The mcfuart.c not only use for mcf532x or mcf527x but it also use for mcf547x, mcf548x, mcf52x2, etc.
>Making gpio init to be part of mcfuart.c, isn't that have to change the file if new platform is
added? Unless, you are suggesting such as port_configuration() in mcfuart.c but the actual
function is in cpu_init.c something like that? Well, this work for me. And, no environment
settings for UART gpio, if the environment value some how corrupted or erased, user will
have to use P&E to reprogram.

Maybe others more into basic U-Boot concept should comment here.
The solution with port_configuration() in cpu_init.c looks perfect to me, though.

> > why do we need #ifdef CONFIG_MCFSERIAL in mcfuart.c?
> Same reason with ns16550 driver (drivers/ns16550.c). Note: The CONFIG_MCFSERIAL has renamed to CONFIG_MCFUART. Double declaration in configuration file. #define CONFIG_MCFSERIAL and #define CONFIG_MCFUART.

Thanks. I thought the architecture would already be sufficient to compile the correct driver,
such that there does not have to be an additional #ifdef in that driver. I will think about
it once more. ;-)

> > gpio->par_timer &= 0x0F;
> > gpio->par_timer |= (GPIO_PAR_TIN3_URXD2 | GPIO_PAR_TIN2_UTXD2);
> The TIN out/in is actually transmit/receive signal from these pins. I don't think the u-boot will ever use it, anyware I will change it.

Before, there was gpio->par_uart accessed instead of gpio->par_timer.
The "&=" was just additional security.

[CFI already answered by Stefan]

> > Last but not least, there is a missing #endif at the bottom of
> > mcfuart.h?!
> I don't see a missing #endif. It is there!

Funny. It was definitely missing before I first opened mcfuart.h, giving me a compiler parse
error.
Seems I still have some git problems?!

> Regards,
> TsiChung