[U-Boot-Users] U-boot and IXP425 NPE

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Mon Jun 4 10:15:48 CEST 2007

Hi Charsten,

On Monday 04 June 2007, Carsten Schlote wrote:
> > ... Yes, it's supported on used on multiple platforms. Although
> > we still have a problem with the NPE-microcode in the current
> > version. I have a patch for this in my queue.
>
> I'm porting u-boot to a Moxa UC7420 box :-) As it is not yet working,
> it's fine to hear it should. For now the microcode seems to be uploaded
> (tried 2.3 and 2.4 version), the NET LED starts flickering, but U-Boot
> say something about NPE-B upload failed and no eth device found. Could
> the patch in the queue fix this problem? If it does, I'd like to test
> this patch, before I start to investigate the problem myself...

No, this patch is not going to fix your problem. It's the patch from Martijn
de Gouw "IXP425 ethernet & NPE microcode" from 14.05.2007, that does not
included the mircocode file into the U-Boot binary, but loads the microcode
from a location in FLASH. This way, you are able to build legal U-Boot
images, since including the microcode is violating the GPL.

> > Back to your question: You seem to be missing the MII support
> > in your board config file (CONFIG_MII). Best would be to
> > "clone" your board config file from a known to be working
> > version, like "ixdpg425.h" or "pdnb3.h".
>
> I used the pdnb3 board as a template, and just copied the MII defines
> from there. Everthing compiles just fine. I asked myself, if the PHY
> addresses need to be adapted for each board?

Sure. The PHY address is board specific and needs to be configured in the
board config file.

Best regards,
Stefan

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de