[U-Boot-Users] Blocking network in ixp425

Teemu Keskinarkaus Teemu.Keskinarkaus at cc-systems.com
Wed Jun 6 08:07:11 CEST 2007

> From: Stefan Roese [mailto:sr at denx.de]
> On Wednesday 06 June 2007, Teemu Keskinarkaus wrote:
> > The U-boot I'm working on is originally compiled for my target by
> > another person. I just asked him about the network code and he said
that
> > it is ported from Redboot.
>
> So *are* you using the official U-Boot version? Or is this some
> development
> from your company that's not available in the official repository?
As a base there is U-boot version 1.1.2 and then there has been added
support for some proprietary protocols. Plus the networking for ixp425
is taken from Redboot(I don't know why, maybe back then it was easiest
way?). And no, the version I'm using is not publicly available.

> > Are there instructions how to make it work?
> Not really. I'll try to come up with a small readme, when the patch
for
Thanks.

> > I don't know why the current code is taken from Redboot, but I hope
the
> > right driver would work little better with the timeouts. I tested
> > yesterday and timeout didn't occur and I waited 15-20minutes.
>
> Timeouts didn't occur means "tftp" commands is hanging? Or what do you
> mean?
I have taken the original proprietary protocol handler code from another
U-boot(that's version, not so surprisingly, is 1.1.2) that was working
on different platform. It calls eth_rx - function and by design of the
code I can see that the eth_rx does not block on that platform like it
does on ixp425.

So, eth_rx - call does not timeout on ixp425 platform. There is no log
to send other than that I have prints before and after the eth_rx and
the later print never shows if for example the network cable is not
connected and nothing goes to ixp425. I also tested with tftp. During
transfer I disconnected the network cable. Transfer stopped, but no 'T'
(for timeout?) appeared or should they?

Teemu K.