[U-Boot-Users] Blocking network in ixp425

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Wed Jun 6 07:19:10 CEST 2007

On Wednesday 06 June 2007, Teemu Keskinarkaus wrote:
> The U-boot I'm working on is originally compiled for my target by
> another person. I just asked him about the network code and he said that
> it is ported from Redboot.

So *are* you using the official U-Boot version? Or is this some development
from your company that's not available in the official repository?

> I'm guessing that's not right way to do it? U-boot needs the intel
> software for the networking?

Yes, some code is needed to "talk" to the NPE's. At the time I did the NPE
port, the only piece of software available was the Intel Access Library which
is quite huge and ugly. Nowadays there are 2 different new Linux NPE ethernet
drivers available, written from scratch without the need for this Intel
software. The only thing that's still needed it the microcode binary for the
NPE's. And this is not released under the GPL.

> Are there instructions how to make it work?

Not really. I'll try to come up with a small readme, when the patch for

> I don't know why the current code is taken from Redboot, but I hope the
> right driver would work little better with the timeouts. I tested
> yesterday and timeout didn't occur and I waited 15-20minutes.

Timeouts didn't occur means "tftp" commands is hanging? Or what do you mean?
Please send a log.

Best regards,
Stefan

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de