[U-Boot-Users] IXP4xx Silicon version

Jonathan Pratt Jonathan.Pratt at elprotech.com
Thu Jun 7 07:51:23 CEST 2007

I couldn't find any reference to it in the Intel documentation (but the
web site is not friendly to navigate so I didn't try all that hard).

> > This is only a
> > problem because the file
> >
> > cpu/ixp/npe/npe.c
> >
> > uses this field in the npe_initialize function to decide how to
> > determine how many ethernet ports there are. Unfortunately the case
> > statement only accounts for revision values 0x0
> > (IX_FEATURE_CTRL_SILICON_TYPE_A0) and 0x01
> > (IX_FEATURE_CTRL_SILICON_TYPE_B0) so that the existing code doesn't
> > think that these processors have any ethernet ports
> available. I found
> > that by adding a 'default:' statement before line #639 remedied the
> > problem. This file is part of u-boot, not the Intel npe library.
>
> Would be interesting to know, what the differences of this
> new IXP425 revision are before "blindly" selecting default
> for Rev. A or Rev. B.

The 'B' option uses the reported capabilities of the device (through the
ixFeatureCtrlComponentCheck function in the npe library) which reads the
feature control register to get the infomration. I would have thought
that (for determining whether ethernet MAC's are present) this would be
a pretty safe bet.

> > Since it seems that someone is immanently about to release
> a patch on
> > the npe stuff anyway, would it be too much trouble to add
> the 'default:'
> > statement or otherwise handle this product revision?
>
> Yes, "someone" is waiting for another revised patch. I could
> of course add this statement, but I can't test since I don't
> have IXP hardware right now.
> Did you test this change successfully on both ethernet ports?

Sorry - this hardware only utilises one of the MACs (npe B = MAC 0).