[U-Boot-Users] IXP4xx Silicon version

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Thu Jun 7 07:18:23 CEST 2007

Hi Jonathan,

On Thursday 07 June 2007, Jonathan Pratt wrote:
> I'm not sure if anyone else has found it to be a problem but some boards
> we recently had built have an IXP425 on them which reports a Product
> Revision value 0x2 (lowest four bits of CP15, reg 0).

Seems that Intel has released a new revision of the CPU.

> This is only a
> problem because the file
>
> cpu/ixp/npe/npe.c
>
> uses this field in the npe_initialize function to decide how to
> determine how many ethernet ports there are. Unfortunately the case
> statement only accounts for revision values 0x0
> (IX_FEATURE_CTRL_SILICON_TYPE_A0) and 0x01
> (IX_FEATURE_CTRL_SILICON_TYPE_B0) so that the existing code doesn't
> think that these processors have any ethernet ports available. I found
> that by adding a 'default:' statement before line #639 remedied the
> problem. This file is part of u-boot, not the Intel npe library.

Would be interesting to know, what the differences of this new IXP425 revision
are before "blindly" selecting default for Rev. A or Rev. B.

> Since it seems that someone is immanently about to release a patch on
> the npe stuff anyway, would it be too much trouble to add the 'default:'
> statement or otherwise handle this product revision?

Yes, "someone" is waiting for another revised patch. I could of course add
this statement, but I can't test since I don't have IXP hardware right now.
Did you test this change successfully on both ethernet ports?

Best regards,
Stefan

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de