[U-Boot-Users] u-boot on nadflash for at91sam9260ek

Michel Benoit murpme at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 12:20:50 CEST 2007

Hi Victor

We have the same problem.  The u-boot 1.1.5 code from Atmel does not
correctly support the ECC correction coding in the OOB (out of bounds)
area of the nandflash when writing.  I have tried playing around with
the available settings to no avail.  When you do saveenv the data is
correctly written to nand flash but the oob area is filled with a 12
byte ECC code which makes the 5th byte in the OOB something other than
FF and thus marks the sector as bad.  The hw ECC controller of the
AT91SAM9260 is hard coded to generate a  4 byte ECC in the first 4
bytes of the OOB.  This is the ECC used by SAMBA (external pc
programming tool) and the linux at91-nand driver.  I have not found
any support for this in the Atmel u-boot code (yet).

If anyone has fixed AT91SAM9260 hw ECC support in u-boot please send
us a copy of your changes.  Even a sw ECC that generates a correct 4
byte code would be useful.

U-boot on at91sam9260 can however read from nand (i think it ignores
ECC by default) so its possible to boot an image that you have written
to nand, its just not possible to write to nand from within u-boot.  I
use either samba or linux (flash_eraseall and nandwrite) to write data
to the nandflash and fw_setenv and fw_printenv (compiled from u-boot
tools dir) to modify u-boot environment variables during development

Atmel has a port of u-boot 1.2 available on www.at91.com.  I have not
been successful it getting that version to run yet. Does anyone know
if it includes support for nandflash writes from u-boot?

Michel