[U-Boot-Users] Are there any instructions how to compile U-boot for ixp425 target?

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Thu Jun 7 13:44:05 CEST 2007

On Thursday 07 June 2007, Teemu Keskinarkaus wrote:
> I took the advice and tried fresh u-boot. I pulled latest u-boot-ixp
> from GIT and modified the include/configs/ixdp425.h file so that it
> would match my current one on those parts that has something to do with
> the hardware. That's only file I modified.

OK.

> Then I gave commands:
>
> make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=armeb-unknown-linux-gnu-  ixpd425_config
>
> make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=armeb-unknown-linux-gnu-
>
> The latter command stopped to error:
>
> make -C cpu/ixp/npe/
>
> make[1]: Entering directory
> `/home/teemu/tmp/u-boot/u-boot-ixp/cpu/ixp/npe'
>
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `IxNpeMicrocode.c', needed by
> `.depend'.  Stop.

Yes, that's expected. Unfortunately not documented. Sorry.

> I checked and that file is missing so I'm guessing here comes the part
> where I need the Intel library?

Right.

> I tried to search for instructions what
> to do, but I couldn't find any and I vaguely remember someone telling
> that there isn't at least for ixp. This is first time I'm trying to get
> the U-boot to work from the scratch so (detailed) instructions would
> help a lot.

You have to download the NPE microcode binary (exactly this missing file from
the Intel download site). Here a link for the newest microcode (I have *not*
tested with this microcode version):

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/detail_desc.aspx?ProductID=2100&DwnldID=12954&agr=Y

Could be that you have to register to access this file though.

Best regards,
Stefan

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de