[U-Boot-Users] Are there any instructions how to compile U-boot for ixp425 target?

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Thu Jun 7 21:54:34 CEST 2007

On Thursday 07 June 2007, Teemu Keskinarkaus wrote:
> I downloaded the version 2.3 that could be loaded without needing to
> register and I was able to compile the U-boot, but when I loaded it to unit
> the unit didn't boot properly anymore. Nothing showed in console. I have to
> check that the setup is right for console to be able to show anything.

Did you configure the correct UART? With the correct baudrate? Just checking
very simple things.

> One another thing, since I already have working U-boot. Is it enough if I
> change the TEXT_BASE from new u-boot and then I'll be able to load the new
> U-boot to RAM and try to start it from the current U-boot? That way I don't
> have to program the flash every time. It would also speed up the testing a
> lot.

Reflashing is normally not really time consuming. We are talking about
probably 512kbytes of image size. So with a decent debugger, this should be
done in a few seconds including erasing.

> Is there something other than include/configs/ixpd425.h that needs to be
> modified in order to get U-boot configured properly?

That really depends on the board. In most cases you need to change at least
the board specific files (board/ixdp425/*). A short look at
board/ixdp425/ixdp425.c shows that there are board specific GPIO's
configured. Very unlikely that your custom board is an exact copy of the
Intel eval board. So you need to change at least those files too. And
probably other changes are needed too.

To sum it up, U-Boot porting to new hardware is not very hard, especially when
this CPU platform is already supported. But you need to know where to "tweak"
to get it working quickly. Without this knowledge it's not that easy I'm
afraid.

Best regards,
Stefan

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de