[U-Boot-Users] Port for M5329EVB ColdFire MCF5329 eval board - needs network!

Ben Warren bwarren at qstreams.com
Thu Jun 14 05:01:43 CEST 2007

Hi Robert,
--- "Robert S. Grimes" <rsg at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been working on a port for the Freescale/LogicPD eval board with
> the ColdFire MCF5329 microcontroller.  I've got it up and running from
> flash and all.  No network yet - and I'm not sure how to proceed there.
> It seems from an example or two that U-Boot network drivers are usually
> fairly simple.  Is it true that a simple polled driver is sufficient?

Yes.  Everything's polled.  No interrupt funny business.

> I'd like to get Ethernet working, but I have more pressing concerns
> right now, so I can't really spend a lot of time on it. However, I'd be
> interested in working with others, and certainly would welcome a bit
> more guidance; I haven't really found much in the way of an "Ethernet
> Driver How-To", and I've looked.  Of course, I could have missed it...

I worked a bit with a Coldfire (5328 I think) a couple of years ago and
remember that its Ethernet controller was very similar to the SCC/FCC/TSEC
controllers that you find on 68360 and PowerQUICC chips.  I have no personal
experience here, but I would wager that it's also pretty similar to the FEC on
the older MCF52x2 Coldfires.   Bottom line - this should be a cut & paste job.
Look in cpu/bcf52x2/fec.c, cpu/mpc8xx/fec.c, ...

> On a different topic, I would like to submit my BSP.  I don't know how
> interested people would be, given its current state - no Ethernet, and
> frankly, not extensively tested.  I will be using it over the next few
> months, so I'd expect these to improve, but it's probably not really
> ready for formal inclusion.  What does one do in such situations?  What
> is the process for new BSPs, especially incomplete "beta" versions?

There's no point putting your BSP in the main tree until it's complete and
tested.  That said, you're always welcome to post code for review.  Just
clearly label it as such and be patient.

regards,
Ben