[U-Boot-Users] Are there any instructions how to compile U-boot for ixp425 target?

Teemu Keskinarkaus Teemu.Keskinarkaus at cc-systems.com
Thu Jun 14 06:30:02 CEST 2007

> From: Stefan Roese [mailto:sr at denx.de]
> On Wednesday 13 June 2007, Teemu Keskinarkaus wrote:
> > Problem
> > is that default environment is not setup correctly. Only bootargs is
> > set. No bootcmd, netmask, ipaddr, serverip is set. Should they be
> > defined differently in configuration file than what they are defined
in
> > version 1.1.2 in order to get them to default environment?
> Sorry, but I fail to understand you here. Please give an example.
Okay, if I put the U-boot to new unit or if I erase the environment
sector from flash the U-boot uses default environment since there are
none in the flash. Correct?

In U-boot version 1.1.2 that I was using, I could set that default
environment by setting the #defines in include/configs/ixpd425.h like
this:

#define CONFIG_NETMASK          255.255.255.0
#define CONFIG_IPADDR           192.168.11.201
#define CONFIG_SERVERIP         192.168.11.10

#define CONFIG_BOOTCOMMAND      "cp.b 0x500a0000 1700000 0x17FFFF\;
bootm 1700000"
#define CONFIG_BOOTARGS         "console=ttyS0,115200
root=/dev/mtdblock3 rootfstype=jffs2
mtdparts=phys_mapped_flash:0x80000 at 0x0(uboot),0x20000 at 0x80000(env),0x1e0
000 at 0x0a0000(kernel),0x1c00000 at 0x280000(rootfs) mem=128M\0"

But in the latest U-boot from git(u-boot-ixp) only the BOOTARGS gets
defined when the default environment is in use and none the other
values. Has this been changed since 1.1.2?

> > Is there a way to
> > get some indication that something is happening?
>
> Not sure if this is welcome. The "cp" command is not a (NOR) FLASH
> specific
> command, but a memory subsystem command. So a change here would also
> affect a
> copy from memory to memory too.
Humm, I'm not sure if the U-boot 1.1.2, that I'm currently using, is
modified more than I though because there is 'rolling line' indicator
when copying stuff to flash.

It would really nice to have any indication that something is going on
because it may take up to 15-20 minutes to program whole flash, but if
there is no such thing then I think I'll have to see if I can do
something. First I have to find place where to put it.

And speaking of mailing a patch. Are there instructions how to get the
patch from the code? I have only applied patches, but never actually
done them. There were some sort of list what are required in a patch,
but how to get the patch itself.

Teemu K.