[U-Boot-Users] Are there any instructions how to compile U-bootfor ixp425 target?

Carsten Schlote c.schlote at konzeptpark.de
Thu Jun 14 10:42:39 CEST 2007

Hi ,

I'm working on a Moxa UC7420 and started porting of U-Boot about 2 weeks
ago.
That is what I've done:

* Creating a new board by cloning some very similiar board with IXP42x.
The config also
  defines a big and useful default env with _all_ stuff preset.
* Adjusted the PHY addresses. Thanks to Stefan for pointing me to the
MII
  scanner in U-Boot. That made it _very_ easy.
* Downloading the missing NPE microcode from Intel.... (see below)
* Disabled all NPE microcode blocks, which are not required. Saved lots
of space.
  Microcode is still linked into U-Boot, but I will move it to some
spare flash sector
  soon (again, all information about the issue is only in the source
code)

There are still issues with the (broken?) PCI bus on my target, but
network and downloading stuff is now working. Most times at least...

> YOU HAVE TO USE MICROCODE VERSION 2.0!!!

?? I used the latest 2.4 micro code. Both NIC interfaces seem to work,
but there seems to be a 'stall' and checksum problem with tftp
transfers.

Are there stalls/hangs with 2.0 microcode? Is this problem known?
Somebody working on this issue?

Otherwise I think, that we should collect all our experiences with the
IXP4xx CPUs and how-to compile U-Boot. It took most of my time to find
the shattered pieces of information :-) Please add a dedicated ReadMe
file to the master branch somewhere, and I will add a 'walk through
guide'. When others do so as well, this document could help with most of
the probs.

Regards
Carsten

Virus checked by G DATA AntiVirusKit