[U-Boot-Users] Some questions about what is planned toimproveU-Boot configuration...

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Jun 18 22:35:06 CEST 2007

Dear Carsten,

in message <46597312D56D2A47A3A6E9C1D0D9B7AEB0C2E4 at kpladc0001.konzeptpark.intra> you wrote:

> * Extract all CONFIG_ and CFG_ defines from the sources and put them
> into related
>   Kconfig files (e.g. cmd_foobar.[ch] -> cmd_foobar.kcfg), using dummy
> templates for
>   each extracted CONFIG/CFG define.

Please  be  careful  when  planning  for  this.  One  feature  thatis
essential  to  me is that it must be possible to have all information
for the configuration of a certain board in  a  single  configuration
file   (i.   e.   something   corresponding   to   what  we  have  in
include/config/<board>.h now)

>   This can be automated by a script and created lots of small files.

Again, be careful. Ther eis a lot of #ifdef and Makefile trickery  in
handling the CONFIG_ and CFG_ definitions, and if you try to approach
this  with  a script, then it will *not* be a simple one. Also, "lots
of small files" is something that probably is not an improvement.

> The difficult step is the migration from the old platform headers to the
> autogenerated stuff, as this required somebody to test the platform - we
> don't to break working platforms.

Indeed, please don't forget that you have to run  a  full  regression
test cycle on each and everyone board.

> Any additional thoughts?

Maybe there is a somewhat  less  perfect,  but  simpler  approach  to
implement only a 90% or 95% solution with much less effort?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"We all agree on the necessity of compromise. We just can't agree  on
when it's necessary to compromise."
                - Larry Wall in  <1991Nov13.194420.28091 at netlabs.com>