[U-Boot-Users] Some questions about what is plannedtoimproveU-Boot configuration...

Joey Oravec joravec at drewtech.com
Tue Jun 19 00:48:10 CEST 2007

"Wolfgang Denk" <wd at denx.de> wrote in message
news:20070618203506.DB4E13535E1 at atlas.denx.de...
> Please  be  careful  when  planning  for  this.  One  feature  thatis
> essential  to  me is that it must be possible to have all information
> for the configuration of a certain board in  a  single  configuration
> file   (i.   e.   something   corresponding   to   what  we  have  in
> include/config/<board>.h now)

The .config file from kbuild is just a big list of name-value configuration
values. Each SoC has code for on-chip peripherals, and each board has code
specific to its soldered components. The main difference should be using
kbuild for a hierarchical menu configuration instead of one giant include
file to increase/decrease the size of u-boot.bin. Invariant parameters like
clock

In an email directly to Carsten I suggested that the first step should be a
prototype. Right now the main configuation options (CONFIG_LCD) all have
sub-options (LCD_BPP). Most of them are true/false, some are enumerated
choices, and some are strings. It should all be possible, but the first step
is probably to draw the tree of configuration options for at least one
platform.

Did you have anything in mind for Makefile trickery? The best example I
could find is TEXT_BASE, and that fits well as a kbuild configuration
parameter.

-joey