[U-Boot-Users] fsload taking more time

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Fri Jun 29 17:06:09 CEST 2007

Hi Saiful,

> I have booted kernel image from the jffs2 file system.
> The kernel image "uImage" is located in /boot directoy of jffs2 file
> system, to load uImage form /boot to RAM location 0×, "fsload
> 0× boot/uImage" command is used. Then this kernel image is
> booted from 0× using " bootm 0×" command
>
> But there is a issue that it is taking 5-6 sec (approx) more while
> doing fsload, comapred to loading uImage from raw flash location and
> booting it.
>
> The function jffs2_1pass_build_lists() on
> u-boot-1.2.0/fs/jffs2/jffs2_1pass.c is actually taking more time. May
> you please suggest me What this function does?? what to do to solve
> this isuue??

This behaviour is rooted in how jffs2 works, especially that appends
new data rather than to overwrite in place.  So on the first pass it
has to build up a list on what fragments make up the current files on
that partition.  This forces jffs2 to scan *the whole* partition
before it can serve a file (just look at the loop in the function you
quoted).

So if you want to get faster, either don't use JFFS2 or shrink the
partition so the scan speeds up.

Cheers
  Detlev

--