[U-Boot-Users] ethact, ethprim and NET_MULTI

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Mar 9 23:58:06 CET 2007

In message <f608b67d0703091448m3d109ebeyc5c3165d506d6a33 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> what happens if all interfaces are failing - does it come back to
> ethprime after trying them all and stops or does it keep trying until
> stopped by the operator with an arbitrary interface as the current
> one?

It continues cycling through the configured interfaces.

> That seemed to have happened to me: I tried using an interface, it did
> not work, I went to see what happened, turned out the hub was down,
> but after I brought the hub back online the thing still didn't work -
> why - another interface became "current"!

If you had waited for the second inteface to time out you would have
seen that U-Boot re-tried the first one which then should have worked.

> Also, in some situations it is harmful to expose internal IP addresses
> on an external network - but u-boot would never have a second though
> about it :-)

It would not even have a first thought, as U-Boot never "exposes" any
IP addresses if you use appropriate protocols like DHCP or BOOTP. All
it "exposes" is it's MAC address.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"I like your game but we have to change the rules."