[U-Boot-Users] RFC: Common bitshifts

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Mar 12 13:03:34 CET 2007

In message <000001c7649a$41f7f9a0$9a4d010a at Emea.Arm.com> you wrote:

> defining standard bit shifts e.g
>
> #define BIT0  (1<<0)
> #define BIT1  (1<<1)
> #define BIT2  (1<<2)
> #define BIT3  (1<<3)
> #define BIT4  (1<<4)
> #define BIT5  (1<<5)

I really dislike definitions like these, as  they  basicly  make  the
code  unreadable.  You  always  have  to  look up the definition in a
gazillion of herader files (and make your to catch the right one)  to
be able to see what the code actually does.

I recommend to get rid of all use of such definitions.

> a) Is it acceptable to replace these two (and references thereto) with
> include/bitshifts.h?

No, it is not.

> The shifts are not arm specific, and could be useful to others.

Yes, this is ARM specific. On PowerPC, BIT0 may  be  one  of  (1<<7),
(1<<15),  (1<<31)  or  (1<<63)  depending  if you are dealing with an
object of 1, 2, 4, or 8 bytes - on PowerPC, bit 0 is the MSB!

As  mentioned  before,  definitions  like  these  are  confusing   to
dangerous and should be removed.

> b) If so, should I submit a seperate patch to the main tree, or is it
> acceptable to make this part of the
> patch for the new board?

Please do neither one not the other.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Q:  Do you know what the death rate around here is?
A:  One per person.