[U-Boot-Users] RFC:new multi image format

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Mar 13 09:25:00 CET 2007

Dear Kumar,

in message <D87DF9BC-1392-42F1-8642-D3D9D80D646E at kernel.crashing.org> you wrote:
> The current multi image format doesn't really provide any information
> about what the images contained inside the multi image are.
>
> I'm suggesting we add a new ih_type, IH_TYPE_MULTI_V2 in which we
> have an expanded header for each 'sub image' to describe more details
> about it.

I'd like to take a more generic approach, as we see other areas where
additional header information is needed.

> Are other fields useful or should we just duplicate the image_header
> completely?

Yes. Please see my posting 'RFC: extended image formats' of
27 Feb 2007:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.boot-loaders.u-boot/26641

I think both topics are similar enough. Like in your suggestion, my
current thinking is about using a new image type which alows us to
include a second image header.

Then hesitation starts - shall we really use  a  simple  binary  data
structure  again  which  will sooner or later crerate all the hassles
the bd_info structure gave us in the Linux kernel, or is it enough to
add a version field and allow for growing this structure by appending
new fields at the end, or should we go for something  like  ATAGs  or
bi_records or ...

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Swap read error.  You lose your mind.