[U-Boot-Users] arm linux images with load address == entry point

Uwe Kleine-König ukleinek at informatik.uni-freiburg.de
Thu Mar 15 23:57:22 CET 2007

Hello Wolfgang,

Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> > the make target "uImage" in the linux kernel calls mkimage as follows:
> >	$(MKIMAGE) -A arm -O linux -T kernel \
> >	-C none -a $(ZRELADDR) -e $(ZRELADDR) \
> >	-n 'Linux-$(KERNELRELEASE)' -d $< $@

> You download the image  to  an  arbitrary  address  which  should  be
> sufficiently  out  of  the  way  of  the [load_addr,load_addr+size of
> uncompressed kernel] area. The bootm will  (uncompress  &)  copy  the
> image to the load_addr, and jumpt to the entry point.
So choosing ZRELADDR is not sensible.  This is the address the
decompressed kernel should be placed to.  So the (in-kernel)
decompressor has to move the image for sure.  So worst case I loaded it
to address X, U-Boot moved it to ZRELADDR and the decompressor moves it
a 2nd time because it wants to decompress to ZRELADDR.

Best regards
Uwe

--
Uwe Kleine-König