[U-Boot-Users] .section .bootpg, "ax"

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at comcast.net
Sun Mar 18 22:08:52 CET 2007

Charles Krinke wrote:
> I am puzzled by a statement in various init.S files in ppc near the end of the file. The statement is
>
> .section .bootpg, "ax"
>
> I understand ".section" & ".bootpg" as they are describing sections
> for the lds linker file to collect all the .bootpg segments together
> at linker time up near the reset vector.
>
> But, ... What does the "ax" mean?
>
> I thank the group in advance for helping me understand.
>
> Charles

Hi Charles,

The assembler (gas) is hidden in binutils.  Quoting from:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/binutils/manual/gas-2.9.1/html_chapter/as_7.html#SEC119>

For ELF targets, the .section directive is used like this:

.section name[, "flags"[, @type]]

The optional flags argument is a quoted string which may contain any
combintion of the following characters:

     section is allocatable
     section is writable
     section is executable