[U-Boot-Users] CONFIG_HW_WATCHDOG in 1.1.6

Daniel Hobi dhobi at gmx.net
Tue Mar 20 09:56:28 CET 2007

On 20.03.2007 02:36, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> In message <f608b67d0703191743id58c79cjb0ff4d2fdf1975b7 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
>> My examination of the source code has shown that there is no watchdog
>> interactions in the tight loop in drivers/ns16550.c:NS16550_getc().
>
> Seems you are the first to use this serial driver with a watchdog
> turned on...

At least the first one using a watchdog model which does not rely on a
timer interrupt triggering the (hardware) watchdog.

> Watchdig trigger points are  missing  and  should  be  added  to  the
> driver. I'm looking forward to seeing your patch...

What's the preferred policy to trigger the watchdog in U-Boot? Trigger
using a timer interrupt (as in lib_ppc/interrupts.c) or add calls to
WATCHDOG_RESET() to every function which may take longer than some
fraction of the minimal watchdog period (which is?)?

I know there are functions which disable interrupts and thus have to
trigger the watchdog themself (like do_bootm).

Best Regards,
Daniel