[U-Boot-Users] CONFIG_HW_WATCHDOG in 1.1.6

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Mar 20 13:10:24 CET 2007

In message <45FFA1BC.2040809 at gmx.net> you wrote:

> What's the preferred policy to trigger the watchdog in U-Boot? Trigger
> using a timer interrupt (as in lib_ppc/interrupts.c) or add calls to
> WATCHDOG_RESET() to every function which may take longer than some
> fraction of the minimal watchdog period (which is?)?

The minimal watchdog period we've seen in real systems so far  is  80
milliseconds, including some tolerance of +/- 20%, so we need to keep
it < 50 millisec.

Normally, we trigger the WD in the timer tick  (i.  e.  every  milli-
second);  additionally,  we  have  a  WD  trigger in udelay(), so any
(possibly long) delays based on this are automatically safe.

This should reduce the number of places where a manual WATCHDOG_RESET
is needed to very few.

> I know there are functions which disable interrupts and thus have to
> trigger the watchdog themself (like do_bootm).

I think most of these places are already safe.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Include the success of others in your dreams for your own success.