[U-Boot-Users] Discrepancy in U-BOOT and linux?

Rajat Jain rajat.noida.india at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 06:59:39 CET 2007

Hi,

I'm a newbie to U-BOOT, and am using it on a MIPS based board.

I was trying to boot up Linux kernel 2.6.15 on U-BOOT 1.1.3, using a
RAMdisk to be mounted as root file system. However the kernel was not
able to find the RAM disk and hence the mounting of root failed.

Referring to http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/Kernel_Command_Line_Arguments
suggests that the RAMDISK address and size should be passed to kernel
in rd_start and rd_size command line arguments. However
u-boot/lib_mips/mips_linux.c:do_bootm_linux() is passing the required
arguments in environment variables rather than command line args.
Making changes in u-boot to pass them in command line arguments fixed
the problem and the kernel booted fine.

But why is this discrepancy in u-boot / kernel? How are others using
(U-BOOT+linux+MIPS) combo coping with it? Are they also making changes
in u-boot?

Thanks,

Rajat