[U-Boot-Users] Discrepancy in U-BOOT and linux?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Mar 21 08:54:48 CET 2007

In message <b115cb5f0703202259t1135b5ffxe5e1482f64ff88b8 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> Referring to http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/Kernel_Command_Line_Arguments

Read this page completely, please.

> suggests that the RAMDISK address and size should be passed to kernel
> in rd_start and rd_size command line arguments. However

Read: "This option was added in Linux 2.6.10-rc2"

> But why is this discrepancy in u-boot / kernel? How are others using
> (U-BOOT+linux+MIPS) combo coping with it? Are they also making changes
> in u-boot?

U-Boot has been supporting MIPS much longer, i. e. since a time  when
these  options  did not exist. And we want to support all versions of
the kernel. And adding the command line options is trivial in U-Boot
and requires no code changes...

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"If you'll excuse me a minute, I'm going to have a cup of coffee."
- broadcast from Apollo 11's LEM, "Eagle", to Johnson  Space  Center,
Houston July 20, 1969, 7:27 P.M.