[U-Boot-Users] CFG_ENV_SECT_SIZE != CFG_ENV_SIZE

Detlef Vollmann dv at vollmann.ch
Tue Mar 27 23:07:15 CEST 2007

Robin Getz wrote:
> In [u-boot.git] / common / env_flash.c around line 171 there is a
>
> #if CFG_ENV_SECT_SIZE > CFG_ENV_SIZE
>
> to be able to mix other data, and the environment info. (Where 'other data'
> could be U-Boot code).
>
> However, in an email a few days ago:
>
> On 3/26/07, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
>  > In message <46040C60.5070505 at inaccessnetworks.com> you wrote:
>  > > I have a flash chip with equally sized sectors and I don't want to waste
>  > > an entire sector for the environment. I have the u-boot environment
>  > > embedded in the u-boot sector. The declarations in my board file are:
>  >
>  > Do not do this. Do NOT do this. DO NOT DO THIS.
>  >
>  > Please never mix U-Boot code and environment data in one sector.
>  > Always use a separate sector (or two) for the environment.
>
> If that is the recommendation (which is fine), why have this code snippet in
> there, and not add something like:
>
> #error Do not do this. Do NOT do this. DO NOT DO THIS.
There is other data that you can put into the same sector as the
U-Boot environment.
In our BSP, we use it for data written there at production,
in another project we use it for data that is read from Linux
but must stay outside the Linux kernel and filesystem image.

 Detlef

--
Detlef Vollmann   vollmann engineering gmbh
Linux and C++ for Embedded Systems    http://www.vollmann.ch/