[U-Boot-Users] Latest git not working for MPC8349EMDS

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Tue May 1 23:24:34 CEST 2007

Benedict, Michael wrote:
> David Hawkins wrote:
>>> 	I am trying to update U-Boot on my MPC8349EA-MDS.
>> How old was the U-Boot version that you upgraded from?
>>
> I am upgrading from 1.1.3, that shipped on the board.
>
>> The MPC9349E boot sequence was modified at one point, and
>> so to boot a new kernel you had to also change the HRCW.
>> I forget the details, but here's my notes ...
>>
>> http://www.ovro.caltech.edu/~dwh/powerpc_mpc8349e.pdf
>>
>> see the comments on p18.
>
> I am pretty confused by your notes as they relate to my image.  For me,
> I am flashing at fff00000.  This is sufficient to brick the board :-D.
> It seemed like your notes were reflecting a change in the boot address
> between versions?  I tried to use the addresses you mention and 1)
> fe000000 tells me it is not erased, even after I erase it (?) and 2)
> fe700000 seems to have no effect. I thought those were the u-boot
> locations for the mpc8349ITX (?).

The ITX can boot from FE000000 or FEF00000 if you're using the latest code from denx.de.
FE700000 is the address of the "alternate" U-Boot location.  If you flip a jumper,
addresses from FE000000-FE7F0000 are swapped with FE800000-FEFFFFFF.  This causes the
U-Boot that used to be at FE700000 to appear at FEF00000.

Michael, I think your problem is in the configuration.  For instance, you're building a
U-Boot from the wrong config file, or you're flashing it to the wrong address, or there's
some low-level config option that's set wrong, like a LAWAR or LAWBAR.

I would use a BDI.  You need to find out which instruction is causing the hang/panic.

--
Timur Tabi
Linux Kernel Developer @ Freescale